Thursday, November 3, 2011

Rita

How would the David School be different if Rita was the principal?

I am not sure that Rita would have changed the school much.  The reason I say that is because there were project based assignments.  An example would be the newsletter by Chris.  That showed a tendency for differentiated instruction.  Second, the program featured a low income student - also Chris.  I could not tell if there were more students in that subgroup.  Third, the diversity was in the behaviors of Cody.  He might have been connected to money through his grandmother but was blessed with a different sense of reality.  Cody was different.  The David School faculty were patient and supportive which I know Rita would have supported.  There were home visits from the principal to connect Chris' learning with his family.  A good technique.  I believe Rita would have liked this school better than Wilson. 

Rita could have opposed the lack of diversity in race/ethnicity but I think the community was reflected in the school population.  The school tried to create accountability in learning with the newsletter project.  Unfortunately, pressure to follow through on the project brought out Chris' weaknesses instead of strengths. 

Another reason I think that Rita would have supported the school was the interest in the student and achievement.  It would have been easy to judge and discipline Cody for his unusual hairstyles and piercings.  It would have even been possible to have rules and policies in place for those type of potential classroom distractions.  But the David School focused on the student.  They were taking his power of distraction and minimizing it through ignoring.  Cody seemed to respond to that and kept the distractions more a personal thing.  I appreciated that type of thinking. 

Now, Rita could have made more changes as data was disaggregated and exposed some inequities in the school's practices.  It could have brought out financial disparity in school spending, graduation inequities with preferential treatment of certain students, or even the lack of interventions for a particular subgroup.  It was clearly about two boys and their troubles growing up through rough family circumstances.  The type of students Rita was used to as a teacher at Wilson.  The data will have to bring out other reasons why Rita would have changed school operations. 

David School in David, Kentucky.

Founded in 1974, the David School is located in the small community of David, Kentucky, from which it takes its name. The mission of The David School is to provide a comprehensive educational program for Appalachian high school dropouts and at risk youths who have limited financial resources and the potential to succeed in a non-traditional setting. Through individualized attention, we give our students the opportunity to experience success and to serve their community.

I am certain that Rita would have been very happy here.  Click Here:  David School.

No comments:

Post a Comment